Sunday, July 23, 2006

Maggie the Magnificent

This summer has been pretty calm for animal escapades. Yeah, one time Tinker and Fancy decided to go for a walk and went down to the neighbors about 1/4 of a mile away. And there’s been times’ when the horses got out but they were easy enough to catch. And my rabbits have gotten out more than once and wouldn’t let me catch them till a few days later.

But today was the worst.

Maggie got out. You know she’s the one Britt’s been talking about. Well she decided to check out this world and went down the road, across HW 170 and into a little old lady’s yard and started eating her flowers!

We were notified and so made the ¾ of a mile ride down there. By that time Maggie had wandered into a cornfield and was gorging herself with corn. I had to come with because I had fed and taken care of the cow during the winter and she only allowed me to get up close to her. So I had to lure her over to me and get a lead rope attached to her chain collar. It took some time but finally I had it on and she towed me through the field for a couple yards before settling down. Then we had to figure out a way to get her home. Dad went along the cornfield and Levi, I don’t know where he went but he ran off for a while. So I was stuck with the cow for about fifteen or twenty minutes (but it seemed like forever to me).

We decided to take the highway route and started heading that way. It took Maggie about ten minutes to figure out that when we pull on the rope it means to start walking and not put your head down and go to sleep.

Dad and I were stuck with the backbreaking job of towing her home. Maggie followed along meekly and quietly (thank goodness). I wonder what everyone thought when they drove past us.

We got her home without any mishaps and all three of us were glad to be back on familiar territory.

Dad said, “Maggie is my exercise equipment. She was the tread mill and rowing machine.” All I know is that I am very sore from clenching the rope and walking in steep, slippery ditches.
So I said all that to say; “Does anybody want a cow?” ;)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

5 comments:

Brittney said...

Hey yeah, she's free... Give away... Pay you to take her! Just take her!!

Kristi said...

I can't help but think of the scene in Anne of Avonlea, when their cow got in Marilla's garden.

Cute story. :)

~Kristi

joygirl said...

Hey you know what!

Maggie ran away AGAIN! But this time we can't find her! GRRR. Cows are so irritating!

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»