Thursday, July 13, 2006

Gramma's Creamy Cucumber Salad


This was always a summer staple back when Grampa had his massive, weed-free garden. Every time we went to Gramma and Grampa's during the cucumber season, this summery salad was something you could bet Gramma would fix.

Yesterday somebody brought over a small sack of mouth-watering, fresh-out-of-the-garden cucumbers. I can't imagine a summer without cucumbers. That would be like a week without a weekend.

You can about imagine what happened next. Yep, cucumber salad.

I filled a salad dish with the fresh, crisp, sliced cucumbers and onions.

In a small bowl, I plopped a few dollops of salad dressing (about 1/2 cup or more), and threw a couple splashes of apple cider vinegar in (amounting to a couple tablespoons). I beat it with a fork until blended, adding a few healthy pinches of dill weed and dried chives. (Celery seed is preferable though, but wasn't on hand). Poured the dressing over the cucumbers and onions and mixed it together. And voila! There it was, my very first cucumber salad of the year.

When Toby came into the kitchen he sniffed the air and said, "What's that smell? Smells like tuna." I digress. It does not smell like tuna, I am insulted. It smells like summer. And my dear sister Court couldn't have agreed with me more. Proves she's Otterson and Toby's not.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

6 comments:

Rachel Marie said...

Mmmm...! That looks so yummy!;-)
I'll have to make this sometime!
BTW, what so bad about tuna?! I LOVE it!!! I guess that just proves what we all already know... I am not an Otterson!=D LOL! (Lucky me!)

Brittney said...

Well, I am in fact the only Otterson who has a particular distaste for that stinky stuff called tuna. And to say that MY summer-smelling salad smelt like TUNA is paramount to telling me it stunk. Any Otterson would know that it smelt like SUMMER. In-laws... I tell you what! They sure aren't Otterson! :P :D

Rachel Marie said...

You will not believe this, Britt...
Your cucumber-salad-post so inspired Becc@, that she made the very same thing for supper tonight! And yes, it was excellente y delicioso!=D
Thanks so much for sharing the idea with us all!

And you can be sure that Toby was just fooling himself... he did not smell tuna, but mayo and vinegar, which both also belong in tuna salad...;-)

Becc@ said...

Britt, as I was making the cucumber salad, Mom came into the kitchen and thought that I was making potato salad! Is that any better than tuna?

I told Rachel that something happend to your taste buds if you don't like tuna!(or for that matter chinese food)

Rachel Marie said...

Britt, I forgot to mention something concerning your "in-laws" statement... you only have one "in-law," so I beg your pardon...!=D LOL!

I don't believe you posess all the "experience" you might think that you do!

Anonymous said...

OOO, that pic looked a little like something from the bottom of the ocean! I stared and stared at it trying to figure it out. (I'm sure it tasted grand!)