Wednesday, August 02, 2006

My Kids and Their Horses

This is turning out to be quite an adventuresome summer. With all that is going on with the children, music, animals, remodeling, and the garden, we find never a dull moment.

So far this summer, Hannah has taken a real interest in horse training/riding on the BIG Quarter horse that Gabe gave her for Christmas. Well, I was very reluctant to see my little girl undertake such a huge adventure but God gave me grace and peace to let her at least “try”. Little did I know what great horse trainer/rider she would develop into! I must admit I am very impressed and glad I did not stop her back in the spring. She and her horse have developed a real bond of love and friendship and I must say that this horse is very well trained.

Well, the horse stories do not end there, as little Levi had to get in on the action too, so we let him work on the 2 year old filly quarter horse in the round pen. He uses the Monty Roberts training and really impressed me with his determination to see obedience, but when the time for mounting came, we felt something was not quite right with this young horse so we talked to Gabe and found out that she was really too young to ride. So with that big let down, we weren’t sure what to do when Amigo happened to come up to us as if to say, “here I am, try me”. Levi and I were now on to another adventure, but I must say, I felt I was pushing my luck with this new idea. I told Levi, we would see how he responds to him in the round pen and take it slowly, as this is one spirited horse that in the past, only Gabe could ride. I was really doing some praying but again saw positive results. Before long, Levi was in the saddle and has been there ever since. Wow, my children never cease to amaze me with their abilities!!!! Amigo has turned out to be the perfect fit for Levi and now him and Hannah are out riding every chance they get, (with Tabby tagging behind on her miniature stallion).

Now speaking of Tabby, she just so happens to have miniature horses to ride. She is constantly chomping at the bit to ride her little stallion named Tinker who is the best invention for a little 7 year old who loves horses with a passion. He likes to be naughty and has a mind of his own but then so does she so they do real well with each other. How fun it is to watch the three of them go off riding their personally trained horses but believe me, it is always with a prayer for their safety.

Now on my next post I hope to write about the instruments that everyone is learning and how much we enjoy this part of our family and home.
Till next time….

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.. seeing those horses really makes me want one or two of our own. I loved owning a horse.

Kristi said...

I loved hearing about the children and their horses. I'm looking forward to reading about their instruments.

~Kristi